Friday, May 1, 2009

G Lady Communes with the Mannequin

Greetings Gossip Lovers,

You are going to love this one.
Did you catch that thrilling “Edelweiss Mannequin” article by Adam Leech in the Portsmouth Herald? Had to be the best laugh since the “The Red Ant Carnage of 2008,” – not that that incident wasn’t sad. Someone defaced art after all. But lucky for us Nathan Walker, its creator, saw the humor in the tale and allowed us a guilt-free chuckle, (video here). But I digress.

In the article Leech explains that the city has put the mannequin seated outside the Edelweiss Gift Shop in the Vaughn Mall on a three-month probation. The maxi Barbie’s crime? – Freaking folks out. Well at least a few of our fair city’s councilpersons.

Leech quotes Councilor Eric Spears as saying “…it kind of freaks me out actually;" to which Councilor Esther Kennedy responded, "I kind of agree with Councilor Spear. It kind of freaks me out, too."

By this we can gather they are “KIND of” freaked out; enough so to deny an assured year’s sidewalk squat for said mannequin. She’s there on trial basis. – Do you imagine they’ve set up a cam of some sort to record our reactions?

Well either way G lady needed to experience this menacing mannequin for herself – so hat on, gloves high, off I went.

And the verdict is? Oh PA-LEASE!

IT’S A BLOODY MANNEQUIN IN A CHAIR FOR LORD’S SAKE.

I got up real close and personal. She didn’t so much as bat an eye, squawk from a voice box or flex a trick finger. Nada. Two of my teen friends joined me. Their reaction? Mock shock. I documented it here for you to see.

Okay, so the shoes are admittedly a tad scary. But, truth is I’ve been more frightened by downtown hot dog vendors and you don’t hear me asking for them to clear the way for innocent unsuspecting pedestrian.

All I can say is – thanks for the laugh council-people. It was a good one.

By the by, after the event Mayor Tom Ferrini was over heard saying – with a clear smile to his voice – “on days like that – I truly love my job. And you can take that anyway you want.”

Yours in a great, shared chuckle

Gossip Lady

Photo: frightened girls: Emily Rheil and Kate Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment