Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Peeking in at a rehearsal

Note to self: buy smelling salts before Seacoast Rep’s “Forever Plaid” opening.


Hello Gossip Lovers,

Well, I sat in on a Rep rehearsal last night – pre sound system set up - and let me tell you, it's a show not to be missed. It’s a veritable convergence- collision - commingling of colossal voices.

Truth be known, G Lady is not a fan of “Forever Plaid.” Sorry Stuart Ross; just not that in to it. BUT three voices in this version have long been among my favorites, making me at least a temporary fan.

Remember the guy, Craig Faulkner, that performed JC in “Jesus Christ Superstar” at Prescott Park a few years back and had people begging his blessings and an encore? And those two kids (about 4 years ago) who stole the park’s teen, pre show? There was the one with the “creatively arranged” red hair, Miles Burns, and the angelic-faced one, Joe Cooper; both with full, clear, God-gifted voices. Well they’re all in this!

Finally we get to actually HEAR them for more than 3 minutes.

And – be still my heart – they found the perfect complement bass, Seth Mrowka, a seacoast newcomer. Prepare to swoon!

Okay, so as is expected I snooped about a bit while checking out the rehearsal. So lean in and learn: Jim Girgenti is back as choreographer after a long hiatus. Where’s he been? Having triple bypass heart surgery, that’s where! Would I kid about such a thing? Never!

I heard him tell one of the actors “I decided to do this instead of cardiac rehab.” Ah the love of art.

Oh and get this: he has photos of himself having a heart attach – no lie! He insisted the friend who drove him to the Lawrence General snap them. See for yourself. I’ve included one here. (Like I wouldn’t go looking for those)!
Paul Erwin, another long-lost face, (the Rep and Park), is back after years away from the piano seat. This is the first time he’s played in a solid year. You’re going to think I’m making this up, but truth IS stranger than fiction. Paul has been sick as well: three months in the hospital, diabetic coma, lots of recovery. He’s back at the keys as if nothing ever happened.

Quite the crew eh? Oh, and then there was an accident during rehearsal! Faulkner was doing some wild arm moves that left Burns singing a bit higher than usual for a while.

The only other thing to report is I “accidentally” overheard a straight male (Hint: tool belt, staging, father), admit he was willing to “switch teams” if a certain redhead would as well.

Okay then. Said enough. Say no more. Almost too sordid for G lady - IF there were such a thing.

Well, drop back in soon. I’ll be hitting the town this weekend, see what else I can dig up.

Meanwhile check out a bit of “Plaid’s” rehearsal at Yours in the best of good-natured gossip
G Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment